Friday, September 28, 2007

Self crisis

Over a dinner conversation recently, my dinner companions and I chatted excitedly (or less to some) about luxury purchases.

A little too generalising, some may opine, but the purchases seem be a catching trend among individuals in a certain age group.

One companion had immediately likened the buying spree to a response to "mid-life" crisis. I personally thought these purchases were gender specific.

But, I do not judge people for their behaviour patterns, it interests me to note this "phenomenan", a term to justify the act of purchasing.

I find that mid-life crisis is not gender specific, with purchases like the branded tote bag, Manolo Blahnik shoes or a facelift surfacing as hot topics amongst women.

I thought of taking this to another level.

Perhaps theory of self could be reason enough to explain why people behave the way they do.

How after different phases of life, people think about paying more attention on themselves, their needs and wants.
It does not necessarily have to be material items, I just got word of a 40plus person keen on pursuing psychology courses, driven by keen interest.

Then again, I know of many and not differentiated by age, who splurge on spas (ahem), holidays (double ahem) and expensive skincare (aha!).

Would that be term as mid-life crisis. I wonder.

Maybe it is not a crisis to begin with. It is evolution of one's self, at different stages of his and her life.

Change (positive or otherwise) is to be embraced, I think, not scorned or brushed off at the first instance.

In the meantime. I will wait patiently for a free joyride in that luxury vehicle. Ha!:)

No comments: