Friday, September 14, 2007

It's 2 in the morning

And the tears are pouring and I want to make worth the night...

Ahem. Nice improvisation ..no?

Having completed one part of my project, I had the pleasure of reading Joan Lau's "Labels, layabouts and those ladies who lunch".

I must say she beat me to it. No. Not claiming the first rights to discussing this topic, but I had wanted to blog about people and judgements, and pigeon-holing people, after a nice quiet dinner at a popular bistro in Bangsar before I had a chance to read Lau's piece.

My dinner mate and I watched a group of ladies enjoying a bottle of champagne and we echoed similar thoughts of not belonging in that restaurant. We watched more diners stroll in, kissing on cheeks to greet and loud giggles that originated from a lady that clearly did not mind others listening on her chatter.

I thought to myself, why are these people so pretentious, or what seemed to be like pretension as least from the way I understood it. Could I have been able to laugh dramatically over petty dinner conversation or could I wear that slinky little black dress to draw attention, admiration or gossip.

I thought I couldn't. I immediately "boxed" these people in stereotypes that I have in my head. The girls drinking champagne probably are not paying for it out of their own pockets, the loud chatter is sounds of dramatic, flamboyancy that could very well be shelved for a quiet nite and the slinky black dress was fit into after weeks of dieting on super shakes and water. (ow)

Upon reading Lau's article, I must say it made me catch my breath. I am quick to dislike those who stereotype me, my gender, profession and choice of music, but I am so equally quick to stereotype others in perceptions I have conditioned myself to believe in.

Is this fair? My bumper sticker has the saying to the effect of treating others as you would like to be treated (It is 2.30 in the morning and I can't for the life of me remember it's exact words).

Would I want to be treated the same way I treated those champagne drinking girlfriends.. or be scorned for looking attractive in the slinky black dress.

I guess not. I suppose you would not to..:)

No comments: