Thursday, March 01, 2007

When I grow up..

Some things in life we take for granted, the fact that our laundry is done without our knowledge, ready made food on the table when we get home, our socks folded neatly in our drawers.


I am not short of this guilt, amidst the madness that runs in my head or the exaggerated dramas placed in my mind, I forget those close to me who are important and go unnoticed.


I return from a sharing session with a character older and wiser than I, who has seen life's trials and errors through jaded eyes and whoses eyes crinkle when they relay a decade old joke.


I believe we find ourselves in this situation some time and time again and do not recognise the need for openness, understanding and acceptance. I am blessed for forces beyond me gives me the chance to be accepted, understood and to be open.


I have had these encounters rarely and am again amazed at the levels of which this relationship has developed into. Twenty years ago, we would not have been able to talk about politics, love, pains and share lame jokes. Twenty yrs ago, he would have been advising me on which school textbooks to buy, how not to chew with my mouth open and to say hello aunty to strangers.


When I grow up.. I want to be like him.

I would want to be able to share as much as I can with my next of kin, the levels of conversation, thought and hopefully more intelligent jokes. When I grow up I want to be like my good old man.


A post dedicated to those fathers who have been able to share a bottle and half of Carlsberg with their 20-something (ahem) daughters... A post dedicated to my old man... who drank more than I did! And mothers too. :)

No comments: