Saturday, March 24, 2007

Adrenaline... rush!


Unbelievably fantastic! As cheesy as it sounds, it was fantabulous. Being able to exercise one of your top ten to do things for the year blows your mind!

I'm talking about being able to shoot a real gun, with live bullets and being in army camp, soaking in the explosive gunshots, drills and strict military instructions. And to have pictures to prove it really rocks on!

Awesome!

Adrenaline will wear off shortly, and the Valley Girl talk too. But I must say taking part in the Armed Forces Media Day changed perceptions, open minds, and was a whole lot of fun.

Starting the day early at 630am, no one knew what to expect. Having zero experience with guns and live ammunition, we were given the quick rundown of how to use a weapon, choice of the M-16 or ACR Steyr. As a newbie, I was advised to use the Steyr, lighter, easier handling (so they say) and a scope to help aim at the targets.

Being a natural klutz, my practice session saw me shooting at the hills, around the target but not at the target. Clearing bullets from the shell of the rifle was a task in itself requiring strength I did not possess. Yoga sessions at the gym is not working as fast as I would like it to.

Safety was priority at the sessions, with each contestant aided by a minder, helping you load you weapon clear it and ensure the safety lock was on and that you do not point the gun at her or at your colleague standing right beside you.

Crunch time came when we were assigned teams and rivals. All geared up, with ear plugs in place, Steyr in the right hand and magazines held by my minder. We ran 50 metres towards the canvas where we took our positions, aiming at the metal plates 100 metres away. Clinching the weapon close to my shoulder, squinting to get a good aim........and pulling the trigger. Nothing happened. I tried it again, getting help from my minder to clear the barrel, and took position, aimed again, nothing happened. Argh! I thought to myself, hearing the explosive shots all around me I felt I was going to be the reason for the team to lose. Grr. After a few seconds of fiddling with the rifle, my minder confirmed that the rifle was jammed. Jammed? I thought it was my natural klutziness that led me to this nail biting, tension mounting moment. Argh. Soon it was time to pull back the weapon, check the safety latches and step out of the shooting area.

I contented myself with the fact that I got a chance to practice and fire a few rounds in the wee hours of morning of this eventful day. But disappointed with the fact that it didn't happen for me.

Nevertheless. Redemption (of the ego) is good for the soul, so they say. I headed to the open area, where I got my first taste of being in an army personnel vehicle. It was exhilirating, exciting, being sandwiched among fellow colleagues and taken for a ride, more exciting than any theme park ride I could remember trying out.

Pushing my hair out of my mouth and from my face, clearing mud from my cheeks much later... I say, it was AWESOME!

No comments: