Saturday, June 24, 2006

Whistle a happy tune...


The line from the King and I comes to mind the other day when I was driving a financial forum, in the heart of the city.

Already late, I was weaving in and out of traffic to make it to the my destination, where proceedings were scheduled to start at 8am.

I glanced at my watch, only to find that, I had better be ready to prepare the excuse of better late than never for my hosts.

While waiting for traffic to clear.... I caught a glimpse of a man, not much older than 40years, an age I deduced from the white headphones he was using, walking along the sidewalks. Dressed in light shirt and tie, it was obvious with the knapsack on his back, this gentleman was making his way to work. Obviously walking, his choice, was a better mode of transportation. I make a calculated guess that he is part of the Ipod clan that is working pervasively to recruit new members. I digress.

What was more striking in my mind, etched until today, is this man was obviously enjoying his music. Arms waving, singing loudly (I could only guess).. and walking with a rhythmic beat that drivers could only be envious of. I smile, obviously jealous he had an Ipod and he was not going to be late for work, but more to how this man enjoys his music, being perfectly comfortable in singing in public ... and having no care to what the public might perceive of him.

I say I envy not cause of the gadgets he has or the fact that he will not run into traffic problems. I envy because he is happy. He lets go at no qualms to how he reacts, behaves just because he has a good time.

I am happy to have found someone like him. I am happy that people do let themselves go. It is time I do too.

No comments: