Thursday, February 05, 2009

Strip away the noise..

Nothing more than a local issue, someone said to me yesterday. No need to care so much, it doesn't affect us, said another.
The issue, I am referring to is the political confusion taking place in Perak, a state located along the coast of Peninsular Malaysia. I live some two hours south of this state and yet I feel the frustration. And while I do not represent the majority, I can safely say there are many other Malaysians who share my sentiments.
The "assemblymen" elected last year - assumed roles and change allegiances ever too quickly.
Details I shall spare the reader.
As a fellow citizen who believed in change (well, not always for the better), there was at least a tiny chance of justice playing up in the country - Perak offering the platform.

Sadly, no.

The principles of gentleman politics not practiced and the strength in staying true to one's stands - obviously not demonstrated - at the expense of our intelligence. Some say it is part and parcel of a democracy process which is maturing. I don't believe in abandoning principles for a richer coalition mature.

The fact that these powers that be, believe us to be docile, silent followers has to be proven wrong. Being ridiculed by politically correct manifestos and unfulfilled promises - when does it all end. March 8's tsunami-style polls results obviously did not possess the power that the dollar, sorry, the ringgit has.
What will?

Thai-style demonstrations - to compound to the depressed economic situation?
Or none - we sit in our comfortable shells and tune into cable (or free TV) for distractions.

You tell me.

No comments: