Monday, July 14, 2008

Renewing, reflecting and recharging.

That was the central theme of our last meeting in Manila. Renew we did our ties with journalism concepts, values, issues and common challenges. Reflect on the progress made and unmade in the last years of this pursuit of a wider goal and shared vision. And recharge we did.

It did not occur to me that the alumni conference this time was a rather academic one, more importantly, it did not occur to me how strongly I felt for the profession and the values it represent, and the (growing) network that has been built over the years, thanks to the kind donors that gave all of us this opportunity.

You can't help but feel the nostalgia when you go through the class photos, the sleepless nights and the exhausting debates about ethics when deciding material for print and broadcast. You also find yourself laughing contagiously when you remember the jokes, antics and little escapisms you took in this pursuit of excellence.

Keywords that still make me smile or laugh out loud in fond memory - pandesals, Father Bu, UP and that FHM magazine we bought for our Burmese friend.

My eyes have opened much in the last few years, compounded by my brief stint across the Causeway. I do want to capitalise on the opportunities that lie ahead - maybe even make a(nother) brave exit, this time out of the profession. Till then. I will still keep giggling fondly of the best times I have had in Manila.

Posing pretentiously at the fountain on the Ateneo de Manila University campus









And seen here, mucking around
after only one.. one bottle of San Mig Light..










But photojournalist Jimmy Domingo's take of the moment says it all...I absolutely relish it.

2 comments:

XMOCHA said...

this is a super-lovely pic of you Susan!!

domingo.digital@gmail.com said...

hmmnnnn... and so it is posted here. nice to see you online, susan.