Wednesday, April 18, 2007

And then there was three...

Three.. whoopsee doo. If there is such a word, I'd use it more often. Although not as "learned" as some words like virufication, which is awkwardly pronounced, it raises the eyebrow to find it printed in reputable publications.

I digress.

Three. I have not forgotten about my list of Ten. Having shot at everything but the target at a recent outing in the Sungai Besi army camp, I had the opportunity to try out two more items on my own, not the Casey Kasem Top 40 list, but my own small ego boosting, narcissistic list.

Martial arts. I had the chance to try out a class with the dear friend who was very encouraging. It was my first attempt at learning the Wong Fei Hung slides, poses and very "cool" stances.

Initially thinking it was a slow paced class, I decided to keep my mind open and stood in the drizzle with the other brothers and of course, the grandmaster. We started off with the salutations, this is a branch of a grander style Kung Fu, of which I have yet to find the English translation to, nevertheless, I must say.. it was ..... rock on! My favourite phrase in the last couple of months since the shooting trip.

Anyhow, the master taught me the differences in punches, from jabs, uppercuts and hooks.. and ahem.. I must say so myself, he pointed out to me that although my jabs needed some work, I was doing fine (for a first timer), with my hooks and uppercuts. Fooyoh!

The conversation about physical strength and Kung Fu came up over breakfast and wine one night and another dear friend points out that men, being physically stronger or for some reason or another, find it easier to execute strong punches,.. she and my Kung Fu pal looked at me funny... And concluded that indeed, it was strange that sifu found my punches to be strong.
The two decided that I was indeed turning into a bloke, after I admitted I could not talk and text message at the same time while struggling to walk on a gravel road in my two-inch heels.
Very funny, guys.

I digress.. again...
Martial arts is certainly fun, but more importantly, it reminded me how important discipline is... .. I promise, soon, I will commit to Kung Fu soon..

I said three, right. Mandarin is what I promised myself to learn. I moved one step closer to the fulfilment of this item on the wishlist. Picking up one of those language CDs from the bookstore, I decided that I will commit to listening to it in the car, or on my green iPod nano. Commit is the operative word here. Nevertheless I take pride in the fact that the language CD is not in the store now but in my room, waiting to be downloaded and appreciated. Ha!

Three. Well on my way to fulfilling Ten.

No comments: